A blog that details the benefits of owning a rooftop tent.
Owning a rooftop tent can be a great option for campers who are looking for more convenience and flexibility. They are lightweight, making them easy to transport and set up quickly. They also offer plenty of space to store supplies and are less expensive than traditional campervans.
Additionally, rooftop tents provide better protection from the elements, as they are raised off the ground and can be secured with straps for extra stability. Finally, rooftop tents don’t require any special plumbing or electrical hook-ups, so you don’t have to worry about finding a place to plug them in.
Benefits of owning a rooftop tent rather than a campervan
Are you considering getting into the world of camping and adventure, but unsure whether to invest in a rooftop tent or a campervan? While both options have their pros and cons, there are several compelling reasons why you should choose a rooftop tent over a campervan.
Here are the main points on why you should own a rooftop tent instead of a campervan:
- Rooftop tents are more versatile and can be used on any vehicle with a roof rack, whereas campervans are limited to only one vehicle. This means that with a rooftop tent, you can switch between different vehicles depending on your needs, such as a car for daily commuting and a truck for off-road adventures. This flexibility is not possible with a campervan, which is tied to a single vehicle.
- Another benefit of owning a rooftop tent is that it is usually much easier to clean since it is raised off the ground. Rooftop tents also often come with additional features like waterproof rain fly’s, skylights and double-wall insulated floors. They provide more space for sleeping and more room for storage underneath. Finally, rooftop tents are far more compact and can be quickly folded up and transported, making them great for weekend getaways or long-distance trips.
- Rooftop tents are generally lighter and more compact, making them easier to transport and store. This means that you can easily pack your rooftop tent in the trunk of your car or on the roof rack, without taking up too much space or adding extra weight. In contrast, campervans are typically larger and heavier, making them more difficult to transport and store.
- Rooftop tents can be set up and taken down quickly, making them ideal for spontaneous camping trips. With a rooftop tent, you can easily set up camp in minutes without requiring complex instructions or tools. This is not always possible with a campervan, which often requires more time and effort to set up and take down.
- Rooftop tents provide a more comfortable and secure sleeping experience, with elevated floors and zippered doors for privacy and protection from the elements. This means that you can sleep comfortably and safely in your rooftop tent, without worrying about pests, moisture, or other potential hazards. In contrast, campervans often have lower floors and open doors, which can be less comfortable and less secure.
- Rooftop tents are often more affordable than campervans, making them a more budget-friendly option for those looking to get into the world of camping and adventure. This means that you can enjoy the benefits of a rooftop tent without breaking the bank, making it a great choice for those on a tight budget or those who want to save money.
- Rooftop tents are more versatile and can be used on any vehicle with a roof rack, whereas campervans are limited to only one vehicle. This means that you can switch between different vehicles depending on your needs, such as using a smaller car for city trips and a larger SUV for off-road adventures. This flexibility is especially useful for families or groups who may have multiple vehicles or want to borrow a friend’s car for a camping trip.
- Additionally, rooftop tents are generally lighter and more compact than campervans, making them easier to transport and store. This is especially important if you live in a small space or don’t have room to park a campervan in your driveway or garage. Rooftop tents can be easily disassembled and packed, which can then be stored in your garage or basement.
- In terms of comfort and safety, rooftop tents offer a more secure and comfortable sleeping experience than campervans. Most rooftop tents have elevated floors, which provide a level and stable sleeping surface and protect you from the ground and any potential dampness. They also have zippered doors and windows for privacy and protection from the elements, such as rain and wind. In contrast, campervans often have cramped and cramped sleeping quarters, which can be drafty and uncomfortable.
- Lastly, rooftop tents are often more affordable than campervans, making them a more budget-friendly option for those looking to get into the world of camping and adventure. While campervans can cost tens of thousands of dollars, rooftop tents are available at a fraction of the price, with high-quality options starting at around £ 800. This means that you can enjoy the benefits of camping without breaking the bank.
What would be the disadvantages of owning a campervan?
- The biggest disadvantage of owning a campervan is the cost. Campervans can be quite expensive to purchase and maintain.
- Additionally, they are much less flexible in terms of where you can take them and can require specialized campsites or RV parks for overnight stays.
- Campervans also take longer to set up and break down and can be difficult to manoeuvre in tight spaces.
- Finally, the plumbing and electrical hook-ups needed for campervans may require professional installation, adding to their upkeep costs.
Are there disadvantages to owning a rooftop tent?
Yes, there are a few disadvantages to owning a rooftop tent.
- The most notable is the limited space they offer compared to campervans. They tend to be smaller and less comfortable than traditional camping vehicles and won’t fit as many people.
- Additionally, some models lack amenities like air conditioning or heaters.
- Lastly, rooftop tents may require special roof racks for mounting and can be difficult to store in the off-season.
Conclusion: Why You Should Own a Rooftop Tent and Not a Campervan
In conclusion, owning a rooftop tent offers many benefits over a campervan, including versatility, portability, convenience, comfort, and cost-effectiveness. Whether you’re an experienced camper or a beginner, a rooftop tent is a great option for your next outdoor adventure.
A rooftop tent can be great for campers looking for more convenience and flexibility. While they do have limitations such as space and lack of amenities, they are lightweight, less expensive than traditional campervans, and provide better protection from the elements. With the right maintenance and care, a rooftop tent can make for an enjoyable camping experience.
Suggested: Why should I buy a hybrid roof tent?
For more information on rooftop tents, check out this article from REI: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rooftop-tent.html
For more information on campervans, check out this article from Roadtrippers: https://www.roadtrippers.com/magazine/what-is-a-campervan/